Multimedia journalist: Video, photo, online, web writing, social media, multilingual
2009 - Current
• Filmed Maternal Life International fundraiser bike race to reduce maternal deaths in Sierra Leone
• Conducted interviews and assisted in producing substance abuse rehab video for district court
• Trained film producers to succeed in on-camera media interviews
YMCA, Digital Producer
2011 - Current
• Quadrupled Facebook membership in 4 months using engaging visual content
• Improved YMCA’s online branding through visual story-telling
Social Media for Nonprofits, Content Producer
San Francisco, CA
2012 – 2012
• Produce videos & blog posts about practical tips for nonprofit storytelling, advocacy & fundraising
• Write tweets, Facebook & LinkedIn posts about social media tools for non-profits
KXLF-TV (CBS), Video Journalist
2006 – 2008
• Succeeded in producing 3 deadline driven news stories daily by shooting, scripting, editing and
• Delivered live reports from field and studio
• Conducted TV interviews including President Obama, Bill Gates, Senator Max Baucus
• Produced compelling stories that educated, informed, prompted community action
• Proven on-air success led to more duties as news producer and anchor of evening, primetime
India West, News Reporter
San Leandro, CA
2005 – 2006
• Documented compelling print news stories about issues impacting South Asians
• Chronicled Bay Area non-profits helping impoverished S. Asian rural communities.
SF Cable TV, News Reporter
San Francisco, CA
2002 – 2003
• Developed story ideas, produced and presented weekly on-air news reports.
• Moderated on-air discussion with news media on impact of their coverage on Muslims after 9-11.
Nation TV, Current Affairs Host
2000 - 2000
• Moderated 65, one-hour daily current affairs program on issues impacting Kenyans.
• San Francisco State University, MA Radio & TV Studies.
First Class Honors
U.S. International University-Africa, BSc International Business Adm.
First Class Honors Nairobi, Kenya
• Fluent Punjabi, conversational Hindi, Urdu and Swahili
Technical & Training
• Adept at operating video and DSLR cameras
• Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Content Management System
• NPR audio story-telling, Knight Digital Media Center Web 2.0 (2011)
• Knight Digital Media Center Web 2.0 Fellow 2011
• Ford AAJA Fellow 2011
• TV News Report on media impact on Bay Area Muslims after 9-11. SAJA 2005
• Top undergraduate international business student 1998